Caricatures and Political Correctness
OK to show trump caricatured as a pig because it falls under
the banner of "Freedom of Speech". I don't recall any outrage.
Which Is Worse?
Not OK to show Obama caricatured via a rodeo clown's mask.
Why? It's racism, don't you know.
- Tuffy Gessling, a rodeo clown working at the Missouri State Fair in 2013,
dared to wear an Obama mask. Presidential rodeo clown masks have been a tradition
for years. I recall seeing such masks of Bush, Clinton and Reagan (confirmed
by Gessling who was inteviewed in
about the incident) but again, don't recall any outrage.
- Apparently, the wrong people were offended and, as usual, went on offense.
Gessling claims he was spit on and threatened. Protestors raised such a stink
that he was "banned for life" from the Missouri state fair. It's not enough
for those on the left to object to such a stunt. They want to intimidate you, make an example
of you, and then take your scalp -- even if you're just a rodeo clown.
- This is a typical tactic. By demonizing those with whom one disagrees, your opponent
has been dismissed, and any chance of a meaningful discussion or debate is cut off.
- You're a racist because we say so.
- You are guilty because you have been accused.
- There is no point of debating nor discussing this with you.
- Any consequence you face as a result of offending us or being accused by us is deserved and is your fault.
- I never saw where Obama commented about this nor that he was even aware. I suspect
he could not have cared less. No matter.
- One of my pet peeves is this obvious double standard and it's time
to start pointing this out and pushing back.
- Don't get me wrong. I have NO PROBLEM with either of these caricatures.
- They make a point or simply poke fun even if I don't like them nor agree.
- Freedom allows us to offend -- and in the process be offended -- or at least it used to.
- Now, it appears "tolerance", "diversity", "inclusion" and "free speech" are only supposed
to swing one way -- and those who preach those gospels the loudest are often the least tolerant.
- My summation is this:
- OK to show Trump as a pig.
NOT OK to even caricature Obama via a rodeo clown's mask.
- the right wants freedom
- the left wants control