Ten Stages of Genocide
The purpose of this page is to respond to the "Ten Stages of Genocide" graphic.
The implication of the graphic is that what we are witnessing in our current
political environment* of dealing with those illegally in the U.S. is similar
to what occured in 20th Century Nazi Germany. The concern is over how those who
have entered the U.S. illegally are being perceived, and how they might be treated
in the near future.
*2019 during Donald Trump's presidency
Response to the Ten Stages Of Genocide
- Classification: People are divided into "us and them."
- In the political world (and every other "world" I can think of), we have always
divided ourselves into "us" and "them". Democrats/Republicans, Left/Right,
Conservative/Liberal, etc. Just because we choose to identify with a particular
mind-set does not mean we intend to take pitchforks to those who are not like-minded
(although, there are times ...)
- Symbolization: People are forced to identify themselves.
- I am frequently forced to identify myself. Here are just a few examples:
- cash a check (or open a bank account, take out a loan)
- check into a hotel
- rent a car
- get on an airplane
- when I have gotten pulled over for speeding
I've never accused a police officer for being the SS for asking for my ID and registration
("Papers, please?") -- but I'm sure it's been done.
- before being hired for every job I've had
- buying a home
- I was even asked to identify myself when picking up items at Walmart I ordered online.
- You can't even enter my place of employment without being "forced to indentify [yourself]."
- Discrimination: People begin to face systematic discrimination.
- Those here illegally have not suddenly begun to face discrimination.
They have faced discrimination since the day they arrived illegally. Employers
and businesses, including government agencies, are required to follow laws and regulations
regarding the showing of proper ID for hiring and other daily activities we take for granted.
E.g., do we really want people being able to rent a van or cash a check if they
don't have any ID? What could possibly go wrong there?
- Dehuminzation: People equated with animals, vermin or diseases.
- So, is the image of Trump being depicted as a pig 1st amendment protected,
political speech -- or, as the Ten Stages of Genocide graphic suggests, a deliberate
attempt to dehumanize him, and by extension his supporters, as a precursor to genocide?
- Organization: The government creates specific groups (police/military)
to enforce the policies.
- Government at every level creates specific groups to enforce their laws and court rulings.
Otherwise, their laws/rulings have no teeth and are meaningless. Creating and continuing
these law enforcement agencies is necessary for a civil society and in no way
represents a march toward genocide.
- The U.S. government created the
U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) agency to enforce the now over
400 federal statutes regarding immigration.
- Those attempting to interfere with the lawful deportation of those
here illegally are guilty of obstruction of justice.
- Those who disagree with current immigration law should work to change
the law, not demomize those who are sworn to uphold the laws our legislators have
- Do we really want law enforcement to pick and choose which laws
they enforce based on who likes them or not? Imagine the chaos that would create.
- Likewise, the U.S. government created the
Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms (ATF)
agency to enforce, among other things, federal gun laws. I wonder if those who
have created Sanctuary Cities to provide safe harbor to those here illegally
would have any problem if a state like Texas decided to thumb its nose at federal
gun laws and created Sanctuary Cities for those who wish to illegally possess machine guns.
What's sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander, right? -- or would it be a case of:
"OK for us to obstruct justice -- NOT OK for you."
- States have State Police to enforce state law.
- Counties have Sheriff's Offices to enforce county law -- and so on.
You get the point. These agencies all have one purpose: to enforce laws
written by their respective legislative bodies. Too often, these law enforcement
agencies (and their officers) are unfairly demonized by those who politically
oppose the laws they are enforcing -- and to spell it out, there's a difference
between enforcing immigration law and deporting or relocating legal citizens
like we saw in Nazi Germany.
- Polarization: The government broadcasts propaganda to turn the populace against the group.
- Government is not the only one to broadcast propaganda in an attempt to turn the populace
against groups of people. Try these on for size:
- Preparation: Official action to remove/relocate people.
- No one is suggesting that those here legally should be rounded up and forced to leave.
For an article on deporting those here illegally, check out this link.
- 9. 10. Persecution: Extermination: Denial: If there is ever an effort
to start putting illegal immigrants into ovens, this right-leaning, conservative,
Trump supporter will do what's necessary to help overthrow the government.